Spray paint is challenging to remove in porous surfaces like concrete. Even an unsightly spray paint stain in a smooth, plain concrete wall can turn your wall unattractive. If a spray paint in your wall is troubling you and you’re thinking how to remove it, the following tips below can help you on how to make your concrete wall as fresh as new again.
Removing spray paint using soap and water
Soap and water can be natural and economical ways to remove the paint off your concrete wall. You can find it in almost every household. A simple detergent and water would work wonders if the paint is still fresh or if it is somewhat thick that a hard bristle brush can easily scrub it off. Otherwise, if the paint is old and too thin to come off from scrubbing, there are chemicals or solutions that you can use to remove it. Regardless of the thickness or type of paint stain, using soap and water is always worth a try.
- Evaluate the paint stain. Determine if it’s temporary or permanent.
- If it is temporary, it will be easy to get rid of it using the basics – soap and water.
- Simply wash it with water and soap. If you are outdoors, you can use a garden hose that is set on high pressure.
- Dip your hard bristle brush on the detergent solution and apply it to the paint spot.
- Scrub the paint away. Use gentle and circular pressure.
- Rinse it thoroughly with water.
- Keep repeating the process until the paint is totally removed.
- If the paint is permanent, you need to use other solutions to help it loosen. A chemical might be needed. But trying to wash it off using soap and water is still worth a try. You can repeat the process multiple times before deciding to resort to other options.
Removing spray paint using a pressure washer
A pressure washer is an advanced way of getting rid of spray paint stains from your concrete wall. It releases high-pressure water spray to get rid of the loose paint from concrete surfaces. This machine can produce pressures from 750 to 30,000 psi. You can use this as the spray paint in your concrete cannot be removed using soap and water and appears to be permanent.
If you have pressure water at home, this isn’t a problem. But since a pressure washer is not a typical household material, you can borrow or rent if you don’t have one. A pressure washer is available in your local hardware store or home improvement stores. Just inquire if you’re planning to rent one.
- Have your pressure washer ready.
- Set your pressure washer’s power level at 4,000 pounds per square inch (PSI) on a minimum.
- Attach and secure the rotary nozzle tightly to your pressure washer. Set it to high pressure to better get rid of the paint.
- It is better to use hot water than freshwater in removing old paint stains.
Removing spray paint using a sandblaster
Sandblasting is another effective way of removing old paint stains from your concrete wall. It works well on removing rust, paint, residue from oxidation rapidly and efficiently. The sandblaster is a heavy-duty air-powered pressure gun that fires out at high velocity. It is great in removing spray paint on uneven concrete surfaces. The spray paint tends to get stuck in the holes and deep crevices of the concrete, making it hard to remove using the basic solutions. In this case, sandblaster can be used to remove spray paints hiding in between the narrow gaps or deep holes of your concrete. If you don’t have one, you can go to your local hardware store to purchase or rent.
- Prepare your sandblaster tool.
- Make sure to wear your protective gear like goggles, respirators, and protective clothing before operating. Take note that sandblasting could cause breathing problems so taking extra precaution is necessary.
- In two separate compartments, put dry river sand or silica and water. Then point the sandblaster to the concrete where you need to remove the paint stain. Switch on the sandblaster and blast off the spray paint that sticks deep into the crevices of your concrete wall. This method is effective in removing fresh, old, and deeply embedded stains.
- Repeat the process as long as you can still see any remaining traces of paint.
Removing spray paint using a gel stripper
Another effective way to get rid of spray paint off your concrete is to use a gel stripper. This is a chemical-based solution that works best on old paint stains. Most people opt to use a soy-based gel stripper to remove the paint. This is applied directly to the spray paint by staining or sealing the concrete. You can buy this in any of your local hardware stores or home improvement stores.
This gel helps the paint to loosen and peel off instead of breaking the paint down. Therefore, this is less toxic than a chemical stripper since it doesn’t have any side effects. One of the risks of using a chemical stripper is it may end up adding pits to the concrete, or it may cause the surface to develop blotches and traces where the paint stain was removed. So if you want to resort to a safer method of removing stain to your concrete, using a soy-based gel is a great option.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the product label.
- Weak your protective gear like working gloves before applying the gel.
- Open the gel and apply it all over the spot where the spray paint needs to be removed.
- Let it sit for five to ten minutes or as indicated on the instruction.
- Scrub it off with a brush after.